POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Gravity fun! (510 kbbu) : Re: Gravity fun! (510 kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravity fun! (510 kbbu)
From: Rune
Date: 5 Dec 2001 12:32:58
Message: <3c0e5a4a@news.povray.org>
"Lutz-Peter Hooge" wrote:
> Then you have a problem. They should't be able to
> do this (unless they have a high initial speed)
> because of energy-conservation.

Sure, but what's considered high initial speed? I think the particles have
high initial speed...

> I tried a similar thing (in C, but 2D), and had the
> problem that some partices that passed the
> gravity-source in small dinstance tend to gain a
> lot of speed, because the gravity force varies very
> much in a very small area, so the simulation gets
> unaccurate.

My particles collide with the planet before that happens.

> Or maybe some kind of "adaptive iteration step length"
> could help here.

Haha, that's completely out of the question with my system. Having each
particle have differently spaced interation steps - that sure would be a
mess, and practically impossible to code into my system...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)